Monday, June 16, 2008

Life As They Know It...

I thoroughly enjoy experiencing cultures at their fullest... not just the touristy stuff. I love to see life as they know it. This weekend was nothing short of that. I just got back from Cotabambas, San Juan, and Colca (three little villages about and hour apart). They give you the best of what they have, which is usually enough food to keep your stomach full, and a blanket and floor for you to sleep on. Yet, you're beyond grateful because you know it's the act of welcoming a stranger, and foreigner into their home, and loving you like one of their own. I feel so special for that. Though my skin is a different color, and my language is not their own, we are brothers and sisters in Christ, and we are all laced together in this vast world.

They live simply, and work very hard to survive. It is their harvest time, and they work non stop till everything gets done. They cooked us potatoes in the ground. It is their traditional way to cook things. We ate, and ate, and ate potatoes until I couldn't get another one down. The interesting thing is that they get 5 or more varieties of potatoes from the same field/crop. Each has a different taste and different use. I never knew that potatoes could be so versatile! :) (There are probably 100's of different varieties of potatoes here).

The trip was about 7 hours in length, and we ended up getting back at 2am this morning. It was a long ride, but a whole other experience all together. I was able to come back to Ron and Regina's house to shower and clean up... which is another blessing to have a warm shower. My host family's shower is not so. anyways, hope yall are doing well. I've got to head back to my host family's house for lunch (potatoes and rice... that's my guess).

No comments: