I apologize for letting several weeks go by with out an update. Life has been going well, and my host family continues to put up with my broken Spanish... actually they are really patient with me.
Last week I had language study. And next week I will continue with one more week of classes. Pray that I learn a lot in that week!!!
I´ve gotten to eat a variety of Peruvian food. Mi mama prepared a typical Cusco dish for me the other day: chicken, rice, cooked seaweed, and fish eggs. I somehow managed to eat the fish eggs without them coming back up. (--rachel and amy, how´s that for sushi!) I´ve also had Cuy... aka guinea pig. Which to my surprise is actually pretty good. Cuy is considered a delicacy, and considered very rude if you turn it down. I also have a pretty good picture of the roasted lil guy, and I´ll have to post it as soon as I figure out how. Other than those few dishes, my meals have been pretty normal. Lunch is the big meal of the day, and I usually get some sort of stewed meat and potatoes served with rice, and fresh tomatoes and onion. Rice and potatoes are definitely their staples.
This week I got to help Regina and Jenn (2 of the other missionaries) do heights and weights at Promesa. We also charted them on growth charts. I was finally able to put some of my skills to use. The rest of this week I´ve been back at the clinic preparing for this weekend. This weekend Juana and I will be traveling to a village about 7 hours away. But then again, on these roads, a 7 hour trip may only be 80 miles. Juana will do some nutrition teachings, and I will help out (not teaching, but doing whatever she needs).
I wash my clothes by hand now. Mom, I have a new appreciation for you, and all the years you scrubbed softball stains out of my uniform and socks! :) It is definitely not an easy task.
Lastly, I want to leave you with a little encouragement. The beginning of Psalms 62 says:
¨My soul finds rest in God alone;
my salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.¨
The first couple of weeks were pretty tough, adjusting to life, and missing home. But, God is good. When I moved into my host family´s house, in my room was a poster with the verse Isaiah 40:31. That just so happens to be one of my all time favorite verses. So then, a couple days later I´m working at the clinic, and I see another poster of Psalms 91. This happens to be my favorite Psalm. Like I said, God is pretty amazing. Now, back to the verse above (Psalm 62). ¨My soul finds rest in God alone.¨ It is comforting to know I´m in God´s hands, and that he is always with me.
with Love
-Alisha
No comments:
Post a Comment